Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Sewing Adventure: Take One

[My sewing machine :)]

Last Wednesday night I started my first sewing project in order to release a little pent up creative energy. With the help of my seamstress mother I began the search for just the right pattern to start with. I finally settled for this vintage Simplicity tank top pattern that has been lost in my mom's pattern box for some years. We actually began our night of sewing by making an unscheduled trip to JoAnn Fabrics to buy some fabric and a pattern after an unsatisfactory look at our current possessions. After finding some beautiful cream lace spandex-style fabric and a shirt pattern, we headed back to get started. On the way back, while contemplating the design of my project, I decided to go with the old pattern we found at my parent's instead of the one I had just purchased. The first night I was able to get it cut out and the second night I began sewing it together! By day three I was ready to add the straps and take it in a bit in order to best fit me. I also added the lace roses and pearls the third day. I was completely finished by day 4 (last Friday) when I added the final pearls. I wore it out that night and loved it! I can't wait to start some new projects! Here are some pictures of my project!
I completed pattern #1
I found this stretchy spandex-style lace in the clearance section of JoAnn Fabrics for $7 a yard.

I loved the edge of the fabric and wanted to keep it on the shirt

All cut out! (Day 1)

I added a basting stitch to the top to gather it and finished sewing it (Day 2)

Day #3 I added the straps and other details. I wanted some lace flowers on the top left as well as some pearls.

Ta-Da!
The finished product! I'm the proud owner of my first creation!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...