Friday, July 30, 2010

Say No To Kids

Only a little over a month has passed wince the wedding and already the topic of children has come up. However, not in the way one might think. We both used to love kids and eagerly anticipated the day when we would have our own. Now that we have been married, we both are not sure if we even want children, period. It might just be the phase that we are in since we are enjoying life with just the two of us. We want to travel and be able to go to concerts and nice dinners without finding a sitter or paying for overly priced kids meals.

I feel like I'm in the movie Father of the Bride II when George and Nina have just found out they are expecting and are driving back from the doctors. While Nina is gazing out the window admiring mothers and children lovingly strolling by, George is seeing mini terrors being chased by their parents. Whenever I go out and am around children, I feel like George. I see kids screaming or whining or simply even hear them talking to their parents and I cringe. I want none of that. Having kids is constant stress, a depletion of money, and a decrease in free time. Maybe I should just enjoy other people's children? There is a small part of me that wants my own children someday. I want to see if they will have Travis' eyes or my hair of if they will be a combination of both of us.

I think one recent deterrent is the fact that I work at a disorganized daycare facility that takes advantage of its teachers. It is an overwhelming job with little enjoyable moments. It is full of constant discipline and correction. My job is to sit around and wait until the kids break a rule or annoy me then I instruct them to behave. Talk about frustrating Maybe it is all of the negatives I have been experiencing that have caused me to feel the way I do. I believe that one day I will get past this and eventually want kids as I have in the past. I used to want 1 boy and 2 girls. I have never been good at coming up with boy names, but girl-wise I am set on the names Avarie (Ava) and Laila. So maybe someday when the newlywed feeling has lessened and we are settled in and have our finances under control, we will consider the possibility of expanding our family. However, as of now, I believe I have awhile before my biological clock starts ticking!

Here are some photos of our nieces and nephews! As you can see we have more than enough children in the family to keep us busy for a few years!


Joah, 1 year old

Ambrie, 3 years old


Garrett, 9 years old

Josh, 6 years old, Kyle, 6 years old

Azariah, 3 years old

Anonya, 8 years old

Travis teaching the kids how to play Operation


1 comment:

  1. i'm with you! i'm not married, but am in a relationship that is heading in that direction:) we've both already decided that we don't want kids, but if we change our minds in the future it's open for discussion:) a lot of our friends have kids and bring them over, so we get to have plenty of time around them, but when the nights over, they go home, ha... and thats the perfect amount of kid time for me. i won't mind being the cool aunt that spoils all the kids.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...